This Tool Kit provides several treatment algorithms to aid the clinician in the care of the tobacco-dependent patient. These algorithms are listed below.
1. Stepwise Therapy Guide assists in targeting combination replacement therapies based on the tobacco user’s degree of nicotine dependence.
2. Recommended Visit Schedule for Diagnosing and Treating Tobacco Dependence outlines activities and treatment algorithms to be employed during each treatment interval, from preparatory visits to long-term follow-up.
3. Initial Evaluation verifies the patient’s smoking status and, if the patient is a smoker, assesses his or her willingness to begin treatment.
4. Initial Management assesses the severity of addiction, treatment modifiers, treatment contraindications, and patient preferences, and helps the clinician develop and record a medical treatment plan.
5. Managing Patient Reluctance identifies sources of reluctance, reframes goals, and evaluates the patient’s willingness to accept treatment.
6. Developing a Medication Treatment Plan provides a logic model that assesses factors that influence treatment choices, aids in the choice of baseline controller and rescue (reliever) medications, and anticipates potential barriers to treatment.
7. Long-Term Evaluation and Management assesses the risk for relapse and includes a relapse risk reduction checklist.
8. Managing Relapse is a follow up to the assessment of risk for relapse; it includes an assessment of available support and reliever medication use and provides options for managing potential lapses.
9. Tapering Pharmacologic Interventions assesses the duration of the treatment plan and the ability of the patient to control the compulsion to smoke.
10. Management of the Child/Adolescent at Risk for Smoking assesses whether a child or adolescent smokes and, if so, assesses whether he or she is ready to stop. A list of options is provided to manage patients who are willing to stop.
11. Management of the Smoke-Exposed Child outlines strategies to mitigate exposure of a child to secondhand tobacco smoke.